My daughter LOOOOOVES toast. So much so that we bought her a toaster for her 7th birthday.
And there’s nothing more that she loves on toast than jam. I, too, am a big fan. There’s nothing like toasted bread with sweet jam and a cuppa to warm my soul.
So to feed both of our addictions, I try to make crusty bread and jam at least every other month. Now if I knew how to can, I probably wouldn’t have to make it that often, but I don’t so making it often it is! On the plus side, this enables us to play with different jam flavors all the time.
This strawberry red wine jam recipe is a favorite and will last in the fridge for up to three weeks. We’ve always eaten it all up before then, but just in case, if you start to see liquid pooling at the top or notice a change in flavor (it gets more tart), you’ll want to bin it.
Strawberry Red Wine Jam Recipe
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 100g granulated sugar (~1/2 cup)
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 50ml red wine (I used Bertoli Vino Rosso)
- 50ml water
- sprig of fresh rosemary
- If you want a smooth jam, rather than using a potato masher per the steps, blitz in a blender or use an immersion blender. Once pureed, run through a fine sieve to catch an other chunks.
- I used the Bertoli Vino Rosso for its strawberry and raspberry flavors, and herb notes. Any fruity, red table wine would work well with the jam.
- Combine strawberries and the rest of the ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer on med-low for about 35 minutes, occasionally stir gently to ensure the mixture isn’t sticking or burning. It will thicken as it cooks.
- Remove from heat and fish out rosemary with tongs and discard. Set jam aside; it will continue to thicken.
- Once cool, use a potato masher to almost puree the strawberries and still leave a bit of texture.
Transfer the jam to a clean mason jar and seal with a lid. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy on toast or as cookie fillings!
Sign up for the BFD email list to get notified on the latest tips and receive exclusive recipes!